Monday, August 16, 2010

Sam's Adjustment

Sometimes I wonder how Sam is going to turn out. He's the firstborn and first grandkid. He's almost 3. I'm not sure what is personality, what is spoiledness, and what is toddler.

When I got home from work, Sam wanted to play like as always. But today, Jen needed help with Will and things kept happening. It seemed that when I sat down to give Sam some quality time, Will became really needy. Sam tried to take me outside to play but I had to comfort Will, change his diaper, etc. It just wasn't working out as it had. Life had changed for Sam, too.

At the dinner table, his face got really sad. You can tell as his eyes get puffy and red. His little voice cracked a bit and he said, "I'm not sad, Daddy. (pause, deep breath) I'm not sad." Then silence. He fought back the tears and looked out the window. Then he changed the subject and moved on, obviously choosing to not focus on his sadness but talk about something fun.

I was amazed at how he's coping with wanting to have a little brother while losing a portion of his parents. The scene tore Jen and me up. We don't want Sam to feel replaced or regress in any way. We are also very proud that our soon to be 3 year old can express his emotions, decide how to respond, and have that response be more mature than many adults.

I am very proud of our young man! This event is a big reason as to me restarting the blog.

Of course, he'll regress signifcantly in 13 years and I'll yell at him , "why can't you be mature like you were when you were 3!!"

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Awh, Clay, I am so glad you are documenting life again. I always knew you would be a great daddy, and one day this will mean so much to them. For now, it means so much to me to see your faces. Love, Brook